Anti-reflective coating improves your vision through your lenses as well as the ability for others to see you through your glasses by eliminating surface reflection on both the front and back of the lens. This is especially true on hi-index lenses which are thinner and lighter weight. Generally, the higher the index of refraction of the lens material, the more the lens with reflect light off the surface of the lens. In fact, a plastic lens will reflect away as much as 8 percent of visible light. That leaves only 92 percent of visible light available for the wearer. Hi-index lenses can reflect up to 50 percent more than standard plastic. That’s around 12 percent of all visible light bouncing away and is not available for use by the individual wearing the glasses. This can be very troublesome during low light conditions like driving at night.
Modern anti-reflective coatings will essentially allow 99.5 percent of all visible light to transmit through the lenses and enter the eye for a quality vision experience. Also, by eliminating reflections, AR coating makes your lenses look almost invisible. Your eyewear will be more attractive on you and your expressions will be more vivid allowing you to look great in all conditions.
The real breakthroughs in Anti-Reflective coating is the durability. Quality coating begin with a bonding layer with provides enhanced adhesion to the lens substrate ensuring bonding between lens and hard coat. Then, a thermally cured hard coat is applied for superior durability in addition to being a quality AR base. Next, an Anti-Static, premium composition AR stack is added. This multi-layer AR coating even further increased the coating durability. Finally a Super Oleophobic/Hydrophobic layer is applied for Static, water spot and smudge resistance.
Anti-Reflective Coatings in the past were a one kind fits all application and in many cases the results were questionable at best when it came to longevity. Today’s coatings are applied differently for every lens type and lens material with surface compatibility in mind allowing damage warranties up to 2yrs. Look for Crizal, Stainless, and Aura Anti-Reflective coatings to name a few good ones.